Social Workers in Libraries
Resources from the August 3, 2023 conversation with Beth Wahler and Sarah Johnson
- Beth Wahler Consulting – Website includes additional resources/infographics for public libraries as well as publications and media about social work in the library.
- Social Work Students & Public Libraries
- Whole Person Librarianship
- Wahler, E.A. & Cook, J. D. (2022). Toolkit: Guidance for Hosting A Social Work Practicum Student. Google Docs.
- Johnson, S. C. (2019). MSW interns and public libraries: Enhancing services through interdisciplinary collaboration. Public Services Quarterly, 15(1), 13–23.
- Johnson, S. C. (2021). Innovative social work field placements in public libraries. Social Work Education: The International Journal, 41(5), 1006–1017.
- Wahler, E. A., Ressler, J. D., Johnson, S. C., Rortvedt, C., Saecker, T., Helling, J., Williams, M. A., & Hoover, D. (2022). Public library-based social work field placements: Guidance for public libraries planning to become a social work practicum site. Public Library Quarterly, 42(2), 141–154.
- The Public Library Association Social Worker Task Force. (2022). A trauma-informed framework for supporting patrons: The PLA workbook of best practices. Public Library Association.
- Wahler, E. A., & Johnson, S. C. (2023). Creating a Person-Centered Library: Best Practices for Supporting High-Needs Patrons. Bloomsbury Libraries Unlimited.
- Zettervall, S. K., & Nienow, M. C. (2019). Whole person librarianship: A social work approach to patron services. Bloomsbury Libraries Unlimited.